Thursday, August 14, 2008

Healthy Snacks

I came across Are you eating enough of these foods while reading my fitness blogs. Although it says diet foods I really wouldn't consider them diet foods, because most of the time when you put the word diet in front of it your brain automatically tells you that it's not going to taste as good as the real thing...or at least that is what my brain tells me.

I talked to my Dr. about what kind of foods I should be eating to feel fuller and she told me I should be getting more protein in my diet. Proteins take longer to digest and because of that you will feel fuller longer. There is a full article that has been published on the Harvard School website that talks about different proteins, what good sources are, which ones to stay away from, etc. Don't get me wrong I am not promoting the Adkins diet because I personally don't think it's a good idea, your body needs carbs it just doesn't need 20 servings of them in a day =)

Nuts are a great source of protein, although some nuts are better than others. Almonds for example are probably the best, and that is raw almonds that aren't salted. The reason for this is because peanuts and cashews are so delish most people cannot stop at one serving. A serving size of almonds is 1/3 cup. Meats should always be lean cuts of beef, it's more expensive but it is a lot better for you. Try ground turkey breast instead of ground beef, it's a much healthier solution. Seafood is a great source of protein and is very low in fats.

Fruits, you pretty much cannot go wrong unless you purchase canned ones that are in heavy syrup, or load it with sugar. Fruit in it's natural state is great, it's sweet and will provide your body with the natural sugars it needs.

Veggies are another thing that you can't go wrong with unless you load it with butter and salt. If you are a salt person try some Mrs. Dash and try a little olive oil over butter if you need it. I personally can eat green peppers raw like an apple, but I know that isn't for everyone.

Granola is good I personally recommend Bake to Nature or Bear Naked because both are low fat and good for you.

Other healthy choices for snacks are:
low fat cheeses
cereal look for ones low in sugar and sodium
ants on a log (celery with low fat peanut butter and raisins sprinkled on top)
fat free and salt free pretzels
for a longer list of snacks go to:
http://www.nojunkfood.org/vendors/healthy_snack_list.html
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=59

No comments: