Friday, August 8, 2008

Change your eating habits, piece of cake....wait did I just say cake?

I have signed up for a lot of fitness blogs and many of them talk about changing your eating habits, I came across this feed in The Weight loss Journal that's title is easy diet changes which does list some good tips but I think the process needs to be even more gradual than that. If you are someone that can easily give up something then I don't know how you got over weight in the first place. If your a person that drinks more than 60 oz of soda in a day (5 cans) then just giving up soda isn't going to be easy, try cutting your intake each day or try mixing in diet into your regular soda until you have switched over to the diet soda completely. Quitting soda is a hard one, I have tried many times and well I need something to drink other than water all the time. I like different flavors.

Another example is sweets, which are a killer for me. We do not keep any kind of sweets in our house except for jello pudding in a box which is fat free and it's for an every now and then dessert, I won't buy the pre-made pudding cups cause I will eat 6 in one sitting!! Well if you work in an office like myself you know there is always food!! Especially if you work with all women (which I am one) you know that there are candy jars, cupcakes, cakes, donuts and everything else. In the office setting everything is celebrated birthdays, weddings, childbirth, becoming a grandparent, Christmas, thanksgiving, and even some made up holidays just to have food. In my last position I gained 20 pounds in a 2 yr period of time!! We had food days all the time, and then all we did was sit at our desks and eat....maybe work, of course this isn't always a problem for some but for those who have no self control like myself it is a problem.

I have been working for another company in an office and it is the same thing here, everyone has candy jars on their desk and someone brought donuts in today just to bring them in (made up holiday ;) ) But where do they set the donuts? not back by them but at the front desk which is out by me of course I have had one... So what do you do in circumstances like this one? You want to make better choices but a lot of us that are over weight have no self control and having food in your face is basically like being given a permission slip.

I am fortunate enough that I am going to be moving into a department where food is no longer going to be an issue, thank god!! I talked to my Dr. about this one day and she said it used to be a problem in her office, and that she even had patients sending in stuff like boxes of chocolates around the holidays. She said one day she had to tell everyone in her office no more bringing in junk food, and had to tell sales reps to quit trying to butter them up with sweets and fats. She said that they also throw away any chocolate given to the office, if they do want to "treat" the office they have to find healthy snacks such as fruit baskets. My Dr. has never had a problem with her weight, even when she was pregnant she still looked slim, but she does understand what it is like for those in her office that are over weight and are struggling not to be so.

This may be a problem that you want to take up with your office, and your boss. Let them know that you have a problem with food, they may find other ways to celebrate or you can even suggest a new way. Your environment has a lot to do with your habits, if you can create an environment where you don't have to look at junk food it is easier to gradually weed them out of your diet. I have switched over to diet soda completely and I also drink more water. I just have to tackle the sweets and the greasy food, which I work on doing everyday.

Another reason some over eat or eat junk is because it is a comfort food, I am also guilty of this. I came across How to make lifestyle changes on the Weight Loss Journal which made up for the "easy" diet changes because this tackles an important issue of why? why do you eat so much? why do you eat what you eat? why do you eat when you are stressed? why do you eat when your upset? Once you find out the why, you will then know the how and knowing the how will be what you need to overcome your eating issue. I am still working on the why, and once I find it out I will be sure to share it with you...until then I'm taking 1 day at a time

No comments: