Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cereal Nightmare

How the heck do you find a good cereal? Yesterday I went grocery shopping to stock back up on healthy foods so I stop going out to eat. I love to eat cold cereal for a quick breakfast. I usually get Special K strawberries cereal, but I decided to compare nutrition labels. I was shocked to see the special k's second ingredient is sugar. I mean it has a lot of vitamins and minerals, but the second ingredient sugar?? Anyway so I decided to look at other cereals I thought to be healthy, I looked at Total 100 whole grain, and guess what the second ingredient was....sugar. I did look at the Kahsi cereals and they actually had a good list of ingredients but the vitamins and mineral daily values weren't impressive.

After spending about 15 minutes walking up and down the cereal section I walked by Grape Nuts which I was shocked this cereal has NO sugar in it, the vitamins and minerals in some areas weren't as high as others but no sugar was a seller for me.

Here are some other links that talk about what to look for in a cereal:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/choosing-healthy-breakfast-cereal
http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/N180.htm

No comments: